Wednesday, August 27, 2008

This is what a $28 haircut looks like


Ok, let me back up. I am going to my cousin's wedding this weekend. I needed a haircut, so I went to the one near the drug store as I was getting a prescription refill. It had the name Salon in the title, which should have been my first clue. As I walked in, there were no posted prices, which of course should have been the second clue. They asked me if I had an appointment. Clue #3. 

I said no, but they whisked me away anyway and ended up in the back chair with an older lady named Ann. She starts in with the clippers and some small talk, while I try to keep up. I look at the counter. There's a little vial, no more than a couple of ounces, laying on its side with its bottom facing me exposing the price tag. $16. Holy shit. Then it hits me. This haircut is going to cost me.

I get myself mentally prepared for the payout as Ann canvasses my head five times with various scissors, clippers and other implements. She tries to get me in the shampoo room. Not happening. 

I am actually relieved when the guy at the front only asks for $28, as all I could think of in the chair was John Edward's $400 pompadour and that Midtown Atlanta seems like the type of place where that might fly.

The kicker? It's a really good haircut. One of the best I've ever gotten. Once I'm back in the workforce, this might have to be an occasional luxury.

No comments: